longer sentences from WSC chap 46
WSC has the "longer sentences" passages only in traditional characters. I have typed them in simplified, so it is a test of my "spelling" for simplified.
My nonexistent nonChinese speaking readers will ask, "What's the big deal?" The answer is: It is not as simple as re-typing a passage in English. I have to know how to pronounce the character(modulo the tone) to type the pinyin into the IME, and I have to choose the right character in the IME(from typically several homophones) when the simplified character is different from the traditional one in the text I'm working from.
On a personal note: Because my immersion time was in Taiwan in the early 1980's, I feel more comfortable reading traditional, especially from the WSC series from which I first learned to read Chinese. The present exercise is a less painful way to review vocabulary and practice simplified.
There are 44 new characters in this chapter. There are 43 longer sentences. Here are the first 16. If readers find any errors please post a comment.
My nonexistent nonChinese speaking readers will ask, "What's the big deal?" The answer is: It is not as simple as re-typing a passage in English. I have to know how to pronounce the character(modulo the tone) to type the pinyin into the IME, and I have to choose the right character in the IME(from typically several homophones) when the simplified character is different from the traditional one in the text I'm working from.
On a personal note: Because my immersion time was in Taiwan in the early 1980's, I feel more comfortable reading traditional, especially from the WSC series from which I first learned to read Chinese. The present exercise is a less painful way to review vocabulary and practice simplified.
There are 44 new characters in this chapter. There are 43 longer sentences. Here are the first 16. If readers find any errors please post a comment.
- 美国每十年调查了一次人口。今年的调查作的又快又好。
- 全世界的人口有四十多亿。中国的人口差不多占四分支一。
- 他家里收藏了许多古画儿。有明朝的,宋朝的。也有唐朝的。
- 今年毕业的学生差不多都有工作;分散在全国各处地方;在北京工作并不很多。
- 四川面积很大,出产也很丰富,抗争时期是中国最重要的一个省份。
- 若是把古代英雄都看作神,我们读历史的时候就很难知道当时的实在情形。
- 你们个位的意见我已经都包括在我的报告里了。
- 西藏和新疆两省都在中国的边疆, 边疆之外的两个大国一个是苏俄,一个是印度。
- 那个地方的情形很混乱。要道那儿旅行的人听见这个消息都不敢去了。
- 我们学校昨天出了一个布告说 ... 明天放假。
- 那辆公共汽车很矮,他六尺多高,站在车里非常地不舒服。
- 豆腐在中国是最普通以及最便宜的食品。没有钱的人固然喜欢吃,有前的人也很喜欢吃。
- 北方人喜欢吃面食,南方人喜欢吃米。北方人把面做饭,南方人把面当作点心。
- 这一次的会议相当重要,美国的副总统特别飞到中东去参加。
- 园子里种的黄瓜今年张得很好,现在才七月,已经结了不少的黄瓜,不久就可以吃了。
- 越南出产的稻米总是运到中国南方去卖。广东人管这种米叫"安南米"。
Labels: chapter 46

4 Comments:
Very impressive, Kudra.
A few things I spotted:
1. 作 -> 做
2. 支 -> 之
7. 个 -> 各
9. 道 -> 到
12. 前 -> 钱
15. 张 -> 长
Keep up the great work!
Thanks ji village news. This kind of feedback let's me know how careful I have to be when typing using the ime.
Given that I had the traditional characters right in front of me, there is no excuse for these mistakes.
On a separate note, it looks like some of the characters in the body of the post aren't rendering in firefox on a windows machine. I may have typed this post on a mac.
OK, characters like .. and quote marks, which were originally typed in the IME did not display correctly. So I changed them to "English"
You are welcome Kudra!
Review of the other 2 postings to come... Sorry for the delay. Please don't hesitate to ask if I can be of any assistance.
Post a Comment
<< Home